About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Caffeine Addiction

One of the favorite things that men writing about women’s finances love to do is counsel us about our “latte habit” – that $4 a day that adds up… fair.
[No mention of fantasy sports entry fees, online gambling, or the fact that the last time I looked around my local Starbucks, the gender split was pretty much 50/50. But never mind.]
Taking it to heart, or at least so no one can accuse me of being unawares of the cost of my caffeine, I’m going to start tracking my monthly spending on coffee.
We have a coffee shop within my actual workplace. Great for that 4:30 slump when you realize you’re not leaving in the next hour. Bad for the monthly paycheck deductions on my employee badge. But luckily, my workplace also tracks coffee shop spending as a separate line item on my paycheck, so this should be pretty easy to monitor and tamp down a bit. My goal is to decrease coffee costs each month, and make sure that it is always at a reasonable level. Awhile back I bought a great Cuisinart machine for home, which grinds the beans, and has an alarm clock, which has more than paid for itself in AM coffees. If I can stay disciplined on this for the mornings and stomach the mass-brewed stuff on my floor’s kitchen for the afternoon pick-me-ups, this should help!

No comments: