About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

End of Employment Money Wrap-Up

As I wrap up at my current employer and get ready to head back to school, I’m having to learn a lot about the loose ends of my finances as well. I’m rolling over my current 401(k) into a Traditional IRA account – which will be taking a considerable hit, given that I’m giving up the unvested portion (which is currently $5,068) – and thus setting the foundation for all future company retirement plans that I might begin and rollover.

Also, I had 10 random shares of company stocks that were given to me as an award. (As of today, worth somewhere between $580 - $600). I’ve had to go through multiple calls with company HR representatives to have them tell me that I need to contact the designated Shareholder Services company to actually set up an account before I could do anything else. Conceivably, because I don’t have a broker I could hand them off to? Anyway, all of this made me realize just how easy it is to have money lost out there in the ether.

I’m very tempted to cash out the 10 shares completely, so that:
#1) I won’t have random unaccounted company shares hanging out there
#2) the stock is pretty high vs. where we’ve been tracking the past few years, so I’m not convinced keeping my money there is going to provide some hefty return, and
#3) so that I can partially fund the purchase of a new computer for business school without jacking my student loan bill any higher.

All very tempting rationales…. More to come on this!

No comments: