About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sabbatical Explanatory / Books I've Read

Apologies for my little sabbatical from blogging. I have some good excuses and some blah ones, but I'm officially back on the bandwagon, and here’s what I was doing the last month and a half:

1) Essays were released for Harvard Business School. So I spent about 10% of my time actually thinking about how I’m going to answer the questions and 80% of my time stressing about the fact that they are released and the time is ticking. The other 10% devoted to nail-biting and drinking.

2) Watching Boston sports and the Democratic showdown with baited breath. Various Red Sox v. Yankees, Obama v. Hillary match-ups, and the NBA Finals only getting started now… a lot of laziness in front of the tube ensued.

3) Developing and perfecting my cupcake menu for my little side business, which I now have up and running and you can see here @ All Mine BabyCakes. For now I’m just doing local orders, that’s Twin Cities MN. So all of the other Bookish supporters out there will have to just salivate at the screen. More to come on me getting this off the ground. And THANK YOU for all of the encouraging notes you’ve left for me! It's gotten me out of my embarassed little rut.

4) Enjoying the beginnings of (what could be called) summer in Minnesota. Which includes reading…this month it was The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner. This really wonderful travel-lit about what elements of a country’s culture contribute to its happiness or lack thereof. It’s not a “how-to-be-happy” guide, which I’m always half-way expecting out of these kind of tomes. But a nice thinker about what elements of happiness we can change, and when location can affect that. This just made me want to accommodate a few more trips into my travel budget (Did you know Iceland is one of the happiest countries?)

No comments: