About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

While I Was Out...

So in my blogging absence, I realized I’d also missed out on a lot of great stuff by my fellow pf folk, so I digested this for myself – three of my tried and true daily read’s and a new find! Hopefully some of you enjoy as well:

MFA or Bust
Appreciated the thoughts on "the financial responsibility funk". And can definitely appreciate bringing someone else into the wisdom of budgeting. I recently had to teach the Guy how to shop for groceries. His ridiculous spending habits come to the forefront once we reach those sliding glass doors. And he is notorious for never buying enough to last him for several meals, so that he has to go back to the grocery store prior to every single meal he prepares. Thus it is almost economical for him to go out to eat for every meal!

Piggy Bank Blues
The short & sweet link from Piggy Bank Blues on Credit Card myths was great – and also lead me to this link: The 15 Most Rewarding Credit Cards. I was happy to see that my new Starwood Amex made the list! Made me feel justified in going after that one even though it meant opening up a new card. I have graduated through a number of credit card myths and predispositions.
My attitude at college graduation: All credit cards are bad. I will pay everything with debit (and in so doing, never built up any positive credit history). My attitude 1 year out: Alright I have a credit card – but I’m only going to have one. All the cards out there are probably the same and only give me small change kind of rewards for my purchases. My attitude now: I have three cards, with different reward structures, and I pay them all off entirely on a schedule, with each new paycheck. I don’t know if I’ve hit the credit card Shangri-la yet, but I’m at least in a lot better place.

Feminist Finance
A smart post on why you shouldn’t read the tea leaves on future policy in a candidate’s personal finance records. Doh. I should write smarter posts.

Always the Planner
This was a new blog that I had never read before – and definitely a fan of now. I especially liked this post: “What’s worth it?” and it basically summarizes my philosophy on spending and saving and why I don’t buy into the idea that everyone needs to give up their $4 lattes. If that makes your day that much happier, and you can skrimp elsewhere, all the better. Lately, I’ve also been feeling daunted at how little discipline I have when it comes to not spending on certain things. But this helped re-energize me with the idea of thinking of what I REALLY want to spend on – a $40 cab ride or $40 worth traveling in Argentina. (Oh I like the idea of “No Spend Days” too. I might have to take that for a spin.)

No comments: