About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Best Bets for Pretty Short-Term Investing?

The Guy warmed my heart recently and asked for my advice on where he should put his money. Due to a pretty rich (and completely unanticipated) tax refund, as well as some birthday money he received in January, the Guy confided that he’d had around $10,000 just sitting in a CHECKING account for awhile.

Gasp…. Scream…yelp…. sigh, recover.

Once recovered, I tried to put my best diagnosis skills to work.

First, I sent him photos of super expensive handbags I’ve been admiring, to give him some inspiration for my upcoming birthday (see L.A.M.B. bag at right!)

Then, I tried to consider all of the various variables he could contend with:
1. At least, getting that money in a high-interest savings account
2. Investing in CD’s
3. Investing in mutual funds, etc.
4. Paying off more of his mortgage early.

I researched a number of scenarios for him, taking all of this, plus our own situation and personalities into context. We still have a good bit of financial insecurity coming our way with me going back to school, The Guy potentially finding a new job and moving out there with me, and not knowing whether or not we will be able to rent our current condo, and if so, for how much? And what sort of costs are involved with being absentee landlords, etc? How much more expensive will our new lives be in California? That said, it’s tempting for me to recommend paying off more of the mortgage, given the fear that the monthly payment might become more unmanageable once we’re in a new set of circumstances. However, I’m pretty sure his mortgage rate is fairly low, when compared with what he could achieve with investments. Plus, he still has a lot of life left on that mortgage, so for tax purposes, the interest would be deductible.

This is in theory a fantastic time for a relatively young person like The Guy to invest in the stock market, given our long time horizons, but with all of the uncertainty ahead of us, does he really want to say sayonara to that extra cushion, for the long-haul? I think not. Plus, his retirement savings is for all intents and purposes, just fine. He doesn’t NEED a bolster there.

Which brings me to CD’s. For the Guy I’m ultimately recommending a laddered approach with CD’s, so he can still keep his extra cash relatively liquid until we’re re-settled again in the South Bay, and he can earn a far better return than keeping it where it is now. CD rates aren’t all THAT much higher than high interest online savings accounts right now… but higher is higher. Right now, it looks like his best rate out there right now with a decent time horizon is 3% on 14 months at Charter Bank. Beyond that GMAC has it on all time horizons, but their one year is 2.65%. HSBC is another good one at 2.3% for a year. I’m thinking he should put half his moola in the year long time horizon, 25% in 6 months and the last 25% in 3 months, and then keep reinvesting at better rates, since we’re (God help us) hopefully moving into a rising rate economy sooner or later.

What do you think? Good advice? Anything I’m missing in the prognosis?

No comments: