About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Q Day Rant

Q-Day: When are you quitting work before leaving for school?

At work, now that most folks know I’m going back to school this Fall, I find myself facing this question from all of my co-workers, and EVERYONE has suggestions about how I should spend the in-between time. Mostly travel. To Europe, to South America, to Iceland, Australia, maybe a round the world ticket? I now have endless ideas about how to spend my time. I get it, they’re fantasizing vicariously. But most of these folks already have their MBA’s and when I’ve asked them what they did prior to going back to school, it’s always “Oh, me? Nothing!”

That’s right all you hypocrites. You didn’t do anything either. Why? You – like me – had to worry about an unlimited supply of funds, no income for the next two years, and a mountain of debt coming your way. You also had logistical details to concern yourself with, like finding an apartment in a new city from hundreds of miles away, buying a bike, packing up all of your stuff and moving. And maybe you – like me – also had to take significant others into the equation.

So yes, while I would love to quit work right this second, I am not going to make that choice. And yes, I realize I will never have this particular period of time again, but I am going to have time to travel in my life and take extended periods of time off from work. So, yes, I still have three months to go. And that is my RANT of the week!

No comments: