About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Financial "Attribution Error"

As mentioned previously, I recently went through some training at work through HR, and we spent a good deal of time talking about attribution error. This is the very human mistake we make when we are more permissive of our own behaviors and actions than we are of others. For instance, if I’m late to work, it’s because of the traffic that I ran into – completely out of my control! But if Jane is late to work, it’s because she’s careless and didn’t plan ahead. In other words, [from Wikipedia, people have an unjustified tendency to assume that a person's actions depend on what "kind" of person that person is rather than on the social and environmental forces influencing the person.]
I’ve heard a lot of people talk about the self-righteousness of some personal finance bloggers, and I think the idea of attribution error plays a definite role. I can more easily rationalize my spending habits or my “wants” vs. “needs,” and it’s a lot easier for me to “be objective” about others financial decisions. In reality, this objectivity might be more plainly called misjudgment as it’s probably not taking in all of the external factors you would if you were evaluating yourself.

No comments: