About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Different Kind of Risk Aversion

Like many of you also in your twenties, I've been watching the DJIA plummet with concern, but not panic. All of my money is staying right where it is in my Roth. And if I have extra dollars, I'll be plunking more in there to lock in these bargain basement prices for index funds. But, I think these kind of tumultuous times have made me realize I'm much less tolerant of risk in other areas of my life.

For example, an opportunity just came up for me to leave my current safe, bottom rung of the ladder, corporate job to do something I really care about with a social enterprise on another continent. Despite the perfect fit, these times make it too scary... instead I'm choosing the safer* step of staying here in the States with a Guy I love, continuing to apply to business school, and trying to get excited about new things in my current job, rather than risking it abroad.

I think it IS the right decision for me, right now. But I wonder if I'd made a different decision were the market not disintegrating...


*Looks like getting an MBA is not the safest option right now either: NYTimes: Credit Crisis is Bad News for MBA Students

No comments: