About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Future Financing Rules

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s not the grandest time to start a business. But because the Guy and I are always dreaming up new business plans, this article on venture capital caught my eye. Reading things like this makes me realize how long my to-do list is to even be able to articulate what a business plan would look like. The basics of the capital structure are crucial, I’m learning. A few guiding principles I took away:

1) Ensure that you maintain control from investors with a controlling stake.
2) Even Institutional investors may demand a different CEO, even without a majority stake – so be careful about terms.
3) Start-up capital is precious. Do not deplete working-capital reserves until the venture is kicking off positive cash-flow.

In essence, watch your (company’s) back and your bottom line! I guess I’ll just tuck this one away for now….

No comments: