About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Crepes and Canvases

This morning instead of our usual overpriced weekend brunches, the Guy made the most amazing crepes I've had. Light and fluffy with little bits of powdered sugar, honey and cinnamon. Very nice cap to our evening last night... his condo had an open house and we made the acquaintance of all his neighbors, one of which was this really inspiring writer and author, Rick. I was absolutely entranced with his paintings - they felt important and poetic and deeply funny. He said he's sidelined on painting for awhile and is writing a lot now, which is nice. I could identify with these mid-forties Dilbert looking character; underneath, there was just a lot to say. Garrison Keillor once said that creating art is one of the most optimistic acts you can undertake.

Rick said he had even sold lots of his paintings, some for around $800. Which definitely inspired me. I don't know how I'd go about finding a market, I've never sold any of my paintings or my stories yet. I've at least tried a lot with my stories, but painting is still my "just for fun" hobby. Still, our conversation left me feeling very optimistic that it is possible, to enjoy your own work and fulfill yourself, and still make your own way financially (his condo was the best on the tour, with an incredible view of the Minneapolis skyline). Also met a former rowing coach and a woman who worked at Aveda, so many unique individuals that were truly invested and active in striving towards their "purpose," rather than their "career." Truly refreshing... might rejuvenate me enough to start painting again! OR at least mailing in a few more short story submissions.

No comments: