About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Trading Up and Down

Target has done a fabulous job of capitalizing on the true consumer insight that people like to trade down in some areas so that they can save their money and trade up in others. People can do both at retailers like Target. But they're also mixing the concept across retailers. Shop for home decor at Target so you can shop for handbags at Gucci. You get to value what you value, and both retailers win. As a marketer, I've thought about this a lot in my professional life. Brand loyalty is irrational behavior, and yet, one of the most normal behaviors in our consumer culture. However, I rarely think about it in my personal life.

Where I've Traded Down:
Shampoo / Beauty Products - I buy Pantene shampoo instead of Aveda now, and drugstore makeup for the most part. The only place I trade up in makeup is foundation which is MAC. $30 a pop is expensive, but I felt like it was time I looked a little more grown-up (I used to wear tinted moisturizer only).
Coffee - Even though I'm really a coffee fanatic, I drink enough of it that I can't afford the premium stuff, so I've been sampling lots of private label (Archer Farms and Lunds&Byerlys).

Where I've Traded Up:
Moleskine – These notebooks range from $10-20 and yet I purchase them religiously when I have all the notebooks and legal pads I could ever desire in our office supply cabinet at work!
Cascadian Farm Organic Jam – I am a breakfast person. This is my toast indulgence. The purest, most natural flavors, but at a huge premium to regular Welch’s.

1 comment:

SavingDiva said...

I have also recently switched to a drugstore brand of shampoo & conditioner (NutriVive). I have to admit that I don't notice much of a difference. I have been trying to start purchasing my make-up at drugstores...but that's not really working out well. I have grown attached to Olay's line of cleansers and moisturizers.