About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, January 7, 2008

FICO score surprise

A few nights ago Suze Orman was on CNN and she clarified something I don’t think I was really aware of about credit scores. Your FICO is really about your debt to credit limit ratio, she says. By extension, it would seem like I’d want to have lots of various credit cards and have charged only a small amount one ach one. It doesn’t seem quite right to me – I’ve always operated with a kind of innate fear of credit cards in general, and so, I only have one (and it took me a long time to even consent to get one), and I make all my purchases on that one card. I think that despite it’s impact on my FICO score, part of this will never change about me because of the emotional impact that debt has on me. I’m really glad that Suze Orman touched on that too – beyond the numbers, if debt makes you squirm (like it does me) then it’s best to get rid of it all and do whatever you need to do to eliminate it.
I don’t think I will make any immediate changes now, but since I’m already shopping for a better credit card, I think I won’t close the one I have now when I do – I’ll pay off a tank of gas on each one to keep them alive. I remember now that my financial advisor said that he did that when I first met him quite some time ago.
But I’d welcome thoughts and comments from those with a more sophisticated understanding of it than myself.

Plus, a link to a Forbes article on Mint.com that I wrote about last.

No comments: