About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Frugal Food + a Plea for Cheap Entertainment...

Forgot to add my little boast that to top the Guy's crepes yesterday, I managed a veritable feast this morning using the few hodge-podge ingredients in the pantry/fridge: Baked Apple Oatmeal, Homestyle Southern Cheese Grits and Breakfast Burritos with Corn Salsa. The oatmeal was an amazing weekend treat... one of those that looks gourmet when it isn't:

Mix:
2 packets instant Quaker oatmeal
1/2 apple chopped
few raisins/dried fruit if you've got them
1/3 cup brown sugar
titch of salt & cinnamon
1.5 cups milk

Bake at 350 for 30 min. Serve with applesauce, more milk, honey, whatever you've got...

Also, a plea: my mother and grandparents (emphysema, one bad knee + one worsening case of Alzheimer's) are coming into town next weekend for a visit. The easy answer would be to buy up theater tickets and book pricey restaurants galore, but that would definitely combat my plan to limit nonessentials. Any suggestions for entertaining Nana and PawPaw on the cheap?

No comments: