About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

United Way Charitable Giving

This year I’m begrudgingly accepting the coordinator position for my company’s United Way campaign, and this morning was the rally. So this means I’ll be leading a giving campaign for 200+ people. The giving levels are pretty good, actually. As an incentive, they give you a free vacation day if you give at one of two levels:

The Love-Share Level – Give .7% of you income. For me this would be about $20 bucks deducted from each paycheck, or $40 a month. I think this might be a little out of my reach, right now.

The Goal-Share Level – Give 12% more than you gave last year, and also at least .5% of your income. Which for me, would be $12 out of my paycheck or $24 bucks a month.

This is certainly more doable. But I like the flexibility to give to other things throughout the year – my coworkers cancer research walk, the Alzheimer’s fund around Christmas in memory of my grandmother. More money to the Obama campaign in the next month, for sure. I don’t like having to say no to giving down the road. So I decided I would give $8 per paycheck, or $16 a month, for a total of around $200. And in the end, this is actually double what I gave last year, so I still feel good about increasing my giving levels as my income grows.

No comments: