About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, September 8, 2008

What Does Henry Kravis Want? & What Can the WSJ Do for You?

Since grad school interviews are around the corner, I know I need to get back into reading the Wall Street Journal everyday again. A one-year subscription came with my GMAT course last year, and I loved it. Now I’m going to have to shell out $89 for the print subscription. If anyone else has faced a similar challenge of keeping up with business news and forcing yourself to stretch your interest and knowledge to a different level – what are good resources? Sometimes I find that checking an online website everyday is too easy to skip. A physical paper works for me. But if there are other blog type offerings that could accomplish the same thing, I’d love to be turned onto them!

Part of the reason I started this blog in the first place was to learn more about managing money and the investing world, so once I break down, I’m going to try to post commentary here on articles I think are good at helping the uninitiated absorb these issues. Starting with a NYT article yesterday: “What does Henry Kravis Want?” on the initial public offering of the private equity firm KKR. I liked it because it was a story, and recognized the businesses involved as such – entities run by real people, executives with varying motivations. I finally better understood what exactly a “leveraged buyout” looks like, and it made the drama of company control vs. steady financing seem more real. Happy Reading… (and imagining your life as one of these private equity big wigs, hobnobbing at the Olympics and above Central Park views, as I found myself daydreaming).

No comments: