About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hungry Girl Recipe Review.

You might recall I got the Hungry Girl cookbook, and was determined to make a lot of recipes. I’m now weighing in on everything I made – there were definite winners and losers.

Winners:
Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries – First of all, amazing. They tasted just like fries. Better than fries, because there was so much more flavor. Crispy with lots of sea salt, they were good enough to serve to company. (I can't believe I just wrote that. Who has "company"? Excuse the 1950s reference.) And, so easy. You just cut up the squash in the shape of fries, bake lying flat for forty minutes at 425. The hardest part is wielding the knife on a big squash.

Crazy Good Turkey Taco Meatloaf – This one came out of the stove looking pretty sketchy. But it tasted awesome. I fixed this for the Guy – who doesn’t always trust my cooking – and he was impressed.

Loser:
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes – The whole gimmick here is that these were supposed to be 100-calorie cupcakes. They might have worked better as a very light sponge cake. As it was, the texture was just horrible – weird, somewhere between custard and chocolate angel food cake. If you’re going to spend 100 calories on something, so many more worthwhile indulgences.

Unmemorable:
Rockin Tuna Melt – With all of the substitutions, this was hardly a tuna melt. But a fine sandwich for those days when I get home late from work.
Choptastic Veggie Salad – Really good, just nothing too innovative.

I do enjoy Hungry Girl’s recipes usually since they are pretty down-to-earth. And you can be frugal about them. You don’t have to go buy crazy ingredients, and they all taste like real FOOD. Any other favorite Hungry Girl recipes I should try? Otherwise, I'm shelving this one for awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine gave me this cookbook for my birthday last month, and I still haven't gotten to try anything! :( Those fries sound awesome, though!