About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Economics of Living in California

So, as I move on from the Midwest and I head out to Stanford GSB… I am now moving to California. The Guy and I shopped for houses in the greater Palo Alto area a week ago… and we found a great 2BR house, with a big yard and patio and two parking spaces that actually fits our budget! But despite the cheery news, the reality is my cost of living will be going up SIGNIFICANTLY. I currently pay $1000 a month in “rent” to the Guy (helps go toward his mortgage). That includes all utilities/parking etc. The rent for our new house will be $2650, which does not include utilities etc., which we can estimate at $150/mo. The Guy has advertised that he wants to / is able to pay more than me for our housing expenses. Let’s assume that means he will pay for all of the utilities. That brings me to $1325 in rent = a 33% increase in housing costs while I eliminate all income and take on debt. Hooray. We could go with a more economical apartment ($2200), rather than a house… but I think I am going to have a hard time convincing the Guy – he’s in love.

The Guy never likes it initially when I am his voice of budget reason (recall last night, when I forced him to go to the value grocery store vs. the convenient luxury grocery store), but later (when he realized the value store saved us $25) he appreciates it. So I will keep testing the boundaries of being prudent without losing all levels of desirability.

No comments: