About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Vortex of Tide Detergent Choices


People have written about this before, and I know I’m not offering anything too novel here, but I was at the grocery store the other night, in a hurry and very eager to end the shopping trip, when I was remembered the last item on my list – laundry detergent. I have been a loyal Tide shopper as long as I can remember. My parents bought Tide. I buy Tide, even when I was in college. It’s not the most economical brand to buy, but I’m no laundry expert, and it just feels like something you don’t want to mess up with buying cheap – you could end up altering your clothes (far more expensive than the investment in good detergent). But last night, I was overwhelmed with a SEA of tide. Choices in size, scent, cause, intended use – front loaders, high efficiency machines. I was so frustrated. Not least of all was the difficulty to understand the true price/value of their product. So many different price points, with so many different variables left me blind to what was causing one container to be more expensive than another. While I might pay more for the larger size, I am not going to pay more for the scent of Febreze. I was so frustrated, I picked up a very small size of the exact product I had bought last time, but vowed to go to Costco and buy a different brand next time to get the most value. I can stand for some level of consumer confusion – but NOT when it comes to price!

No comments: