About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June Books

Continuing on my Friedman kick, I read The World is Flat, which was another very insightful, albeit skimmable tome. Similar to last time, for me, it was worth reading for just a few valuable sentences and concepts

One.
The reminder that despite the repetition of the pundits, that al-Qaeda is not a religious fundamentalist group, but rather a phenomenon of political extremism. They do not focus on communication and interaction with their god at all. Rather, the focus is on a totalitarian utopian skewed vision of a kingdom on earth – i.e. an Islamic state that rules the land.

Two.
I found the connection between terrorism and humiliation quite profound: “Humiliation is the most underestimated force in international relations and in human relations.” After emphasizing the possibility for hope of economic development and financial elements of the flattening world, it was an excellent counterbalance to talk about the ways terrorism… is spawned by the poverty of dignity (not money).

Up next is Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers, oh, and I’m reading Ted Hughes’ Birthday Letters right before I fall asleep each night. Reminds me how much I miss reading poetry.

No comments: