About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

(Frugal) Hungry Girl

The Guy recently gave me the Hungry Girl cookbook, and it coincides with the feeling that I should be trying to get a little bit more out of my grocery budget (in terms of savings and variety), so here goes:

First, Recipes I can Make with the Stuff in my Pantry:
Red Beans & Rice, Lima Beans, Mushroom Patty
Turkey Omelet with Pineapple Salsa, Turkey Sausage
Vegetable Barley Soup, Blue Corn Chips & Roja Salsa
Potato Pancakes, Carrot, Edamame and Black Bean Vegetable Blend, Peaches
Kashi Lemongrass Coconut Chicken
Kashi Spinach Feta & Mushroom Pizza
Whole Wheat Pasta with Vodka Sauce and Broccoli Cuts

Second, NEW Recipes from the Hungry Girl Cookbook:
Chop-tastic Veggie Salad [Grill a veggie burger patty and add vegetables to top a salad]
Rockin’ Tuna Melt [Skip the mayonnaise and add carrots for some texture]
Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries [Cut up squash in the shape of fries, Bake lying flat for 40 min at 425 degrees]
Crazy Good Turkey Taco Meatloaf [Add veggies (corn, peppers, onions) to traditional ground turkey]
Death by Chocolate Cupcake [Use diet hot cocoa mix, chocolate cake mix and Splenda as the base]
Mint Mocha Freeze [Coffeemate, sugar free sweetener, and instant coffee for a Starbucks substitution]

No comments: