About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

In Honor of International Women's Day?

Apparently today is International Women’s Day. Honestly. Who makes this stuff up? But in the spirit of this made-up holiday and women supporting women, I’ll try to post about a couple different resources specific to women for getting more financially savvy.

*On My Own Two Feet:
A pretty shallow resource, dedicated to promoting the book of the same title, but the links page was really helpful and I discovered a great new resource for various financial calculators… pretty perfect if you’re a personal finance nerd.

*85 Broads:
More of a career-focused website for women in business, 85 Broads was originally launched by Janet Hanson as a networking group for women at Goldman Sachs. (Goldman Sachs is located at 85 Broad Street, aren’t we punny?) It’s a membership type site you can join, but the blog’s nice, too. For me, a window into another world or a deeper view of what my world could be: https://secure.85broads.com/public/blog/4426

*Suze Orman
When I first started this blog, I caught Suze on CNN. I sense, without having confirmation from other bloggers, that she might be a controversial poster woman for personal finance. I like her, though. Despite other shock jock type characters, she seems compassionate. Plus, we share the whole Suze / Suzy thing.

*Ms Money: And her Blog:
This was a very succinct, visually-appealing site. And it has a no-nonsense way of conveying the real issues of women’s personal finance, without sounding condescending:
Women's long-term financial needs are different from men's because they earn 25% less, average 11 years out of the workforce, and live 5 years longer. Women need unique saving and investing strategies if they want to retire in style.

*Women’s Finance
Less glam of a site, no frills, but helpful link nonetheless.

*Women’s Personal Finance
This seemed like a nice “by women, for women” blog, and I’ll especially highlight a nice “introduction entry” about “What I wish my Mother had told me.

Feel free to add your own fave links in the comments....

1 comment:

PiggyBankBlues said...

great links, thanks!! while yet another "holiday" is nutty, i do think it's great that you researched sites that empower women with financial information.