About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

San Francisco Paradise + Back to Reality...

Had a lovely time in SF last weekend, and the verdict is… I can really see myself living there. So that goes on the list of possible cities and possible grad schools. As for my trip budget, I didn’t do so well.
Unexpected boon: The Guy’s friends with cars shuttled me around everywhere, so I didn’t have to worry about taking cabs. Super convenient, and really nice of them.
Unexpected bane: M left me all alone on Saturday when she had to work. From 10 o’clock to 4 o’clock I was left alone to wander the city on my vacation. So I shopped. $300 worth of shopping. Each individual item I bought was a good value, so I felt okay about it as I went along, but at the end of the day I felt a little sick. That was supposed to be my whole budget for the trip. I never would have spent that much if I had been enjoying time with friends. I’m going to return about $80 worth today or tomorrow. Ex-Shopping, I would have been $25 underbudget for the trip. Including shopping, I’m $275 over budget.

But life goes on, and I'm back to reality. I updated my personal goals and trackers for February. Somehow I managed to mess up my Networth report from last month, so it no longer records my huge dip downwards in January. But trust me, I’m not in denial, and just glad to be moving on. I’m really excited that I’m completely on track to be able to accomplish one of my goals (#1 Never carry a credit card balance) in 3 short months. Now that I’m almost done, I think I might add another travel fund goal onto the end. I want to get 100% whole on my emergency fun and then start putting a greater dent into my B-school savings fund. Then I can focus on ramping up the other two.

I also updated my February mini-goals (small expenditures). Making progress on bringing my lunch to work, but slipping a bit on my coffee budget. Still not bad, but I have a gourmet coffee maker at home that I should be putting to work!

No comments: