About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Friday, March 14, 2008

What's the best card when you don't carry a balance?

Just updated my goals today – so ridiculously close to zero on my debt.

Now that I’m thisclose to not carrying a credit card balance ever again, I’m starting to think about what would be the best card for me. Right now I have a no-annual-fee Chase and a Citi, and both seem fine, but I don’t know enough to know if the points or rewards are good enough. As for better cards with an annual fee, many of my friends have the Starwood card which lets you rack up hotel points instead of airline miles, or I could of course go for a frequent-flier credit card. The only rule I’ve ever heard is that it’s bad to pay an annual fee of $60 or more for one of those.

Mint.com tells me I can save $129/year with a Citi Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard. Mint also tells me my most frequented store is Target. Yep. Sigh.

Anyone (who already doesn’t carry a balance) that has a good card to recommend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. I've been really wondering what card I should get to start earning more free stuff.

One of my friends recommended a Capital One card, and I've looked into the Citi ones... still trying to figure it out. My biggest store is (ahem) Wal-mart. ??? I guess because of prescriptions and toiletries. Whatev.

So that means I should probably go with one that gives me cash back or points.

Post about whichever card you choose, OK?

Anonymous said...

1) Amex blue - cash back is very practial and with no annual fee.

2) Amex one - starts an auto savings acct with your 1% cash back. First year free, but $35 annual fee there after.

Suzy said...

thanks for the comments! I'll definitely look into the Amex cards...