About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Today's Auto Expenses Roller-coaster

Just spent a LONG day sitting in the waiting room of my car dealership service center after I found out yesterday that all of the lights and gauges on my dash weren't working. I took it to my company's auto service center (which is usually cheaper), and they just winced and said I better take it to the dealer when I showed them the problem.

Not a good sign.... three hours later, the diagnostic reveals that I needed an "instrument cluster" which costs $850.00. So with the diagnostic, that means I'd be paying $1,000 to fix this. Since this seems insane, I asked the mechanic if I could call him in the morning to schedule it, thinking I must be able to work out something with good insurance people or find another quote or something.

I'm feeling so defeated and frustrated as I walk back to my car... but I turn the ignition and everything works again. An auto miracle! I don't know... I'm still wary. Maybe it's just an electrical short that will resurface the next time I turn on my car. In any event, all of this makes me feel like I should have an "unexpected expense" line item in my budget.... $1000!

No comments: