About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Friday, March 7, 2008

Sucking up to the Boss

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about my job, and how it’s really not what I want to be doing. Given my glum mood this week, I’ve decided to devote all weekend to writing and getting back on track with my goals there, so I have a little more balance in my life.

But… thriving at work, even when you’re not doing what you want to be doing, is important. For me, it’s important to my mental health. For others, a promotion is the ticket to more money and doing what you really want to be doing later. With that, I came across this article which talks about the fine art of sucking up to your boss. This was hard for me. My current manager has a very hands-off approach that I had to get used to as a new employee. Sometimes it feels like she forgets I report to her. In any event, I think this advice is pretty helpful in general for how to be more flexible and more humble to achieve your own objectives, and maintain your self-respect at the same time. Hope you find it interesting. Here’s a teaser on three simple strategies for “managing your manager”:

1) First figure out your boss' style and adapt to it. This encompasses everything from how your boss talks and works – very fast and direct or slow and methodical – to how much daily communication he or she wants. "You build rapport every time you match energy," says the author.
2) Make every idea seem like it was the boss' idea.
3) Pay attention to timing. Read when the boss is in a good or bad mood, and work the good side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It stinks to not enjoy your job, so here's hoping something changes for you soon. I don't know what you do, but is there anyone your company might rearrange/be flexible with you in some way to improve things?

The whole "sucking up" thing made me laugh out loud. Wonder if any of my employees do this. Wonder if I fall for it!