About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Holiday Gift-Giving Budget Plan

My strategy for keeping my holiday gift giving low has been three-fold.

Making a list of everyone to whom you really want to give a gift – For me this year, it will just be my immediate family, the Guy, and two of my close friends. My extended family does exchange names, so I won’t find out about that extra gift until we draw at Thanksgiving. I would also love to give a gift to my grandparents and potentially The Guy’s parents, so if I see something that is just the perfect fit, I will probably splurge for that as well. The Guy and I will probably go in together for something small for the two couples we’re close with.

Stagger a buying plan. My strategy is usually to use my credit card rewards points to redeem for gift cards so I can supplement my usual holiday buying budget. This year I had earned more than I thought on the two credit cards I use only seldom (my main card is the Starwoods Amex which I save for hotels and travel). I’ve already redeemed a $100 gift card which I’ll use for the Guy and I have about $50 left to redeem for my friends and family. I’m going to try to buy lots of fun, unique presents in Argentina as well… I wish I had more skills that I could make more of my presents. Stories or poems would be all I’d have to offer. I will probably burn a few mixes for my Mom since she always loves the CD’s I make her. But I wish I had more ideas….

Make/Buy a few reserve gifts for the unexpected burdens of reciprocity. There are always a few unexpected gifts, from coworkers or more removed friends that you want to have something ready for. I think that holiday baking is going to be my main recourse here. I could buy a few Christmas ornaments.... Otherwise, I’m still looking for another shelf stable option to have handy so I won’t be caught in that embarrassing “oh, I left your gift in the car” moment.

No comments: