About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How to Plan for Pre-School Expenses

So, as I’m getting more and more excited about school and getting buried in the difficult decision about which coast I’m going to head towards, I’m also realizing that there will be a LOT of expenses even before I grab up the loans and go into debt. I guess I could throw up my hands and say “Oh well, it’s all going to be negative pretty soon anyway,” but I am promising myself that I WON’T have that mentality. I have plenty of negative networth role models out there that have maintained responsible personal finance

I’m also dealing with the not exactly unexpected, but still rather unpredictable expenses associated with enrolling - $25 processing fee for financial aid with the CSS profile, $1,000 deposit due in March, $350 flights out for admit weekend, $300 for hotels at two weekends, required pre-reading and courses, and probably tons of other stuff I’m not thinking of!

For now, I’m trying to keep spending down in every other area I can control, knowing that lots more is going to pop up. I also added a budget line item called “Unexpected”. Any other budgeting techniques for unexpected expenses??

No comments: