About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Starting Salary Figures Can be Deceiving

Some new Payscale research just emerged about post-MBA salaries. According to Business Week, who released the findings along with a handy table comparing schools, a lot of MBA programs highlight starting salaries, which are only one part of the picture. Equally, if not more important, is the salary range throughout your lifetime. They try to give you a sense of the ROI of your investment in going back to school. It’s a little deceiving as it only includes base salary (not stocks/options/benefits you could receive), but it’s still interesting to compare. For the two schools I’m deciding between it seems like Harvard is a better bet on every metric… but money’s not the ONLY motivator for me, clearly.

Harvard
Starting Salary (medians): $134,000
5 Years Out: $150,000
10 Years Out: $184,000
15 Years Out: $227,000
20 Years Out: $230,000

Stanford
Starting Salary: $128,000
5 Years Out: $139,000
10 Years Out: $148,000
15 Years Out: $179,000
20 Years Out: $202,000

2 comments:

Well Heeled Blog said...

Can I just ask what you do and what's your secret to getting into Stanford and Harvard?!

Congrats!

Suzy said...

Thanks! No secrets... I was utterly shocked.

I think it's the demographics thing? Under-represented gender (F) from an under-represented region (midwest) in an under-represented field (marketing). We'll go with that.

I know this is a 'princess problem' having to choose... I'm just excited to HAVE a choice at all in this world we're living in...