About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Blog Poll: What is Sicker?

I recently netflix’d Sicko and was highly entertained by Michael Moore’s playful rant. It is amazing that what seems normal to us, is pretty off-kilter by the rest of the world’s standards. And no matter how one-sided people say Moore’s films are – you can’t argue with facts like these: the United States health care system ranks 37th, just ahead of Slovenia and Cuba. Then this weekend, I attended a Financial Aid Information Session at Harvard Business School… once the brief slides were scrolled through and the floor was opened for Q&A, the first three questions were not about financial aid or about the loan terms or interest rates or about the hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt those of us in the room would be taking on – the first three questions were about health care. It’s clear what makes us most panicked in this country is not debt, but health care.

So yes, what’s sicker… panic among reasonably well-to-do prospective MBA’s over student health care and the exact day it begins and what it includes… or the fact that I will have to take on a minimum of $98,000 in loans to attend school this fall. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? But that’s the base loan package – i.e. what the poorest of candidates would be expected to take on. Insane.

2 comments:

mysticdomestica said...

Ninety. Eight. Thousand? And wait, is this just for the first year?!

Wow. That's a hell of an investment... but I don't doubt that you'll make it work for you afterward!

Suzy said...

Exactly my sentiments. That's for two years. But still! $49,000 for a year of my life!

My ears are still ringing... and I'm just praying I'm somehow confused by what "base loan packages" are all about... Sheesh.