About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How do you set a budget when you *technically* have no income?

So, I know I need to set a new, realistic budget for when I'm in school. A lot of things will be different. The main one = no income.

So how do you set a budget when you don’t have any money coming in? A lot of financial aid and federal loans will cover a good deal of the straight tuition part of my expenses. But then I expect I will also have one big lump of funds from loans I take out. I will still need a budget so I prevent myself from burning through all of my loan money too quickly, but I know it’s going to look and feel a lot differently than my current financial planning. A couple of the different dynamics to note:

One, I won’t be amassing savings – so I will need to stop all automatic deductions for my current accounts and maintain only my cash-value life insurance and my Roth from my loan money.

Two, very limited capital - there is a limited amount of loans I can take out, as restricted by the “Student Budget” that Stanford has calculated. I won’t be able to take out any more money than they have determined it costs. For me, that total is $53,000 for each year, of which, $28,000 has to be devoted to school costs and $25,000 is for everything else. I literally can’t spend beyond $25,000 each year, or I will have to dip into my paltry savings or incur – gasp – credit card debt.

Three, invisible expenses - there are a lot of “mandatory” items that are not included in that student budget – like, flights for all of the job interviews and all of the special study trips that you HAVE to take advantage of – otherwise, why go to school full-time?

Four, extreme temptation- I think it is going to be hard to stay in the mode of reducing expenses or keeping expenses low, because business school is this very finite period of time when you are going to be surrounded by the most amazing set of people and experiences yet. Who wants to think about keeping to the bare necessities as the backdrop for THAT? Any tips?

No comments: