About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Not-So-Frugal Big Apple Giveaway

So for Hanukkah this past year, the Guy and I each gave each other a trip – I gave him a weekend in New York and he gave me a weekend in San Francisco. I’m planning on using miles for the NY flight and my Amex Starwood points for the hotel, so all of the big expenses should be almost-free. Now, I’ll just need to plan a perfect weekend for the two of us – that’s more about us, than spending money on every little thing! But I started brainstorming and it turns out things added up a LOT faster than I'd thought. I still want it to be special, but I don't think I can spend this much on three days!! Here’s what I’ve got so far… any suggestions from the NewYorkers among you:

Friday Night:
- Head down to the West village to check out Charmingwall Gallery free
- Go to the New Museum $24 each
- Dinner at Aurora $150 estimated, footing the Guy
- Attending a friend’s 30th party to close down the night!

Saturday:
- Take a free ferry ride over to Staten island and back
- Browing, Strolling and Shopping in Soho!
- Head to Brooklyn to meet our friends’ new baby daughter
- Ditch the baby and head to a local beer garden in Williamsburg
- Head to see a Broadway Show $175 for the two of us
- Dinner at Peasant $150

Sunday:
- Brunch at Sarabeth’s on the West Side $50
- Rent a boat at the Boathouse Central Park $15
- Walk back through Central park
- Afternoon Treat at The Dessert Truck $20

Damage: $594! Whoa... not what I was thinking, nor what I was budgeting! How does that HAPPEN.

No comments: