About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

'Above my Pay Grade'

I’m rather fond of the expression “must be above my pay grade.” I most often use it to crack a wry joke about something that is complicated to the degree of farce (ridiculous furniture assembly instructions or the insane views on foreign policy espoused by my uncle, for example).
But thinking of getting back to work in a few more days, and in the context of what I am actually paid, a pay grade speaks to a unit in monetary compensation – which my company employs strictly. And though some may disagree, I do appreciate this system (as opposed to alternatives of free negotiation). Some might argue that pay grades could be employed arbitrarily and that negotiation might enable employees to have more meaningful variables considered (like past experience and how much value those specific roles might bring to the current). I, however, would rather embrace these distinct levels, because my sensibilities are highly attuned to fairness (I blame my having a sibling remarkably close in age). In reality, I see that negotiation could really reward the best negotiators and the most obnoxious and whiny.

However, in researching a bit, I have found it interesting that legally, companies are not required to adhere to pay ranges of any sort, and more interesting to me, that if they do employ pay ranges, they are not required to publish them at all. In short, you can never be certain of fairness, I suppose.

What my company does disclose is their theory on employee market value. They maintain that they will always pay me at 85% of my market value. When my friend in HR tried to explain this to me, she said it was based on my skills in that role, and that I would move to the next role too fast to ever reach a level of 100% proficiency which would essentially equate to that 100% of market value level. Makes sense, but it still feels funny when I see that huge number listed as my market value and my salary listed well below.

But in this time, I know I would be grateful to be paid at 50% of my market value, so long as I kept that job.

No comments: