About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Save $1000 (or $185) in 30 Days.

Recently I started reading the blog “I Will Teach You to Be Reach” who recently sponsored a challenge to save $1000 in 30 days. I didn't save anywhere near that amount, but I did record all of the tips and tried to implement many of them. The summary is below, noting which things I actually did and how much I'm thinking I could have saved. The basic idea is that hopefully you can find at least a few things, and hey, maybe you’ll save $100 instead of a $1000. Every bit counts… My calculation: $185 savings. I'll post again on all of the things I didn't do.

Things I Did:



> Packed my lunch for a week. I did this, but beyond this one tip, I would say the underlying idea is to create a system to help reduce food costs at work. Whether you only allow yourself two lunches in the work cafeteria or maybe there’s a set amount per week, it’s easy to exceed what you would budget on these types of expenses because they’re more blind.
($12 savings)

> Sell something on EBAY. Okay, I tried. But it didn’t sell. I think I might stick with good ‘ole Craigslist from now on. Same principle.
($0 savings)

> Create one no-spending day each week. I love this idea. Mine’s going to be each Monday.
($20 savings - probably a generous estimate)

> Buy Generic for Stuff you don’t care about. I do think this is very smart. I already do so with some things, but I know I can go further.
($8 savings)

> Invite People over to one’s house instead of going out (we do this all the time).
($20 savings)

> Use free rewards from credit cards etc (I do already, for holiday gifts!)
($125 savings)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip! thanks for sharing your stragegies!!!

Rishabh Kaul said...

Hey Suzy,

My name is Rishabh Kaul. I'm working with Ramit Sethi of iwillteachyoutoberich.com and he pointed me to your site (and pointed out that you've linked to iwillteachyoutoberich before).

He wanted to share a couple of things with you including a personal video. Do mail me back so that I can share the link with you (it's password protected)

Regards,
Rishabh