About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

On Milestones and Arguing About Money

A couple weeks ago, The Guy and I passed the “Year-and-a-Half Mark” in our relationship. Sorry if some of you are scoffing, but 18 Months is quite monumental in my eyes. And truly, I’ve never been happier or more comfortable with anyone. Because my real-life best friends have been going through some difficult times lately, I really haven’t taken the opportunity to gloat: but, I mean, wow, I’m really happy with this guy. And given how difficult I can be, it’s kind of something that we both still enjoy each other’s company and feel like true partners.

I also really appreciate that when we argue, we really talk it out – and generally do so without belittling or caricaturizing the other person. Which is really one of those important "in the long-term" kinds of things. Anyway, to the second point of my post. We had an argument the other day – I think it would most accurately be labeled as a “spat” – that was really about different philosophies on money, somewhere underneath the silliness.

Scenario: The Guy and I have these free movie passes that expire at the end of the year. So last weekend we decided we would go see a movie at this theater, only to discover upon arrival that we can’t use the passes on Saturday. At which point, we can either retreat or pay $18 to see the movie. I suggest we check out another movie we really wanted to see at another theater. (Read: If I’m going to spend money, it better be something I actually want to see). The Guy overrides and says we should just see it because it's not worth the trouble to hike all 2 blocks to the nearest theater. He wins. I buy the tickets, but I am miffed, and borderline bitter. My gripe is not the $18, but the fact that I feel The Guy doesn’t take into account my frugal tendencies enough (at all?)

Seems trivial enough, but isn’t this where it starts? Am I just being ridiculously small? Or is this a legitimate claim that boils into something bigger? I guess, given that a lot of marital issues are caused by disputes over money, I’m wondering if this is just inevitable or a signpost. Thoughts?

No comments: