About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Indulge Me On This

I’ve been disappointed in the quality of the articles in the Sunday Styles in the past year. Often the writing itself is still stand-out, but the articles and actual topics chosen have seemed almost purposefully out-of-touch, like some editor’s pet interests are being indulged, week after week after “really? A brand of napkins sold only in the Hamptons?” week. The topic of this past Sunday’s headline - Indulge Me On This - struck me as no different. But some of the writing itself didn’t disappoint, and as Dave Eggers has famously said, got right to the business of “speaking eloquently about what it’s like to be alive right now.” The indulgences – the beach, the Nutcracker, the right Scotch, a culinary treat, nice cardstock for greetings, the right pacifier of diet coke – were appropriate for the paper’s readership.

For my own readership and indulgence, I would say my own indulgences this Christmas Eve are really good wine, splurges on family and friends, an excess of ‘wasting time’ pleasure reading.

No comments: