About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What I'm Learning from Dog Adoptions this December

I’ve recently started volunteering at my area Animal Humane Society, facilitating adoptions of abandoned dogs, which has been significantly more fulfilling than I expected. I am no animal activist, by any means. In my entrance interview even, I stumbled over the questions regarding what part of animal rights I was most concerned about. Umm, general animal cruelty? I wasn’t even sure of what the options were for such a question. I was motivated by a fond feeling of nostalgia for the string of miniature dauschands our family had growing up, as well as, yet another hare-brained business idea of the Guy and I’s (a doggie day care which would be based on the premises of big companies, much like the actual day care service that many large companies already provide). So far I’ve been truly impressed by the charming, devoted people I’ve interacted with as well as the professionalism and well-oiled engine of the AHS.

Two observations on volunteering around this time of year:

ONE. I’ve found the benefits of volunteering at such an organization with such a clear, simple, single-minded mission blissfully uncomplicated. Sure – Darfur, Iraqi refugee, and women’s or immigrant rights funds may be more politically important and impactful in our society. But no one really disagrees that Fido shouldn’t be abused, and witnessing the love and real connection and meaning that an animal can bring to a somewhat haphazard or lonely set of owners, is really quite majestic – in a small, authentic way. As a poet friend of mine always says, ‘What a good and fine thing it is to do a good and fine thing.’

TWO. This experience is helping correct my unasked personal stance that in the whole ‘Time vs. Money’ debate on charitable giving, your money is far more impactful. After experiencing this organization’s operations, in this case, it really does seem that giving of my time and energies provides them maximum benefit, and leaves me devoid of angst over the absolutism of the financial experience of charitable giving (one unaltered number, un-wishy-washy: can I afford this?, is it too much?, Is it nearly enough?)

No comments: