About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Meeting with my Financial Advisor Today

I'm meeting with my financial advisor today – long overdue considering the progress I’ve made since our last meeting (a. became a personal finance blogger, b. applied to business school, c. moved in with the Guy, etc. etc.)


I completed the two update worksheets – one which had all of my income statistics and also what I hoped to be making in three years which was a lovely exercise in “who knows” now that the ceiling has come crumbling down. And the other was my monthly budget. I remember being handed this at our initial meeting and thinking it was pretty preposterous. How was I supposed to know how much I spent on all of this stuff? How naïve and not-yet-anal I was! I flew through it more or less with ease, applying a few ranges where appropriate, and was happy to see how close I was matching their categories with mine… I came up with only having a $38 surplus from my income to my expenses. We all know how quickly $38 can be sprinkled throughout multiple categories, so I’m sure that’s where it actually goes.

But it did make me think. Could I contribute $38 more to my Roth? Could I up my cash savings $38? Or more? I know it will only work when I increase something that I don’t already see. So I might just ask my friends at Northwestern Mutual to increase something without telling me. More later to report on the meeting....

No comments: