About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Carrots & Sticks

I read an article in Money Magazine once (while on the elliptical, so I have no idea what issue, etc. and can't provide a handy link) about how to keep yourself motivated towards your financial goals – and they debated whether carrots or sticks were more effective. Money ultimately recommended a combination of both. So you grant yourself a reward if you make your savings goal, and “dock yourself” in some way if you don’t make the goal. To me, carrots have always worked better, and I’m really not sure how the concept of a money “punishment” would work. But maybe I just have the wrong ones? Anyone have an effective combo of carrots & sticks to keep them motivated? Obviously from my last posts, I could use it.

1 comment:

PiggyBankBlues said...

the only time i "punish" myself for overspending is by eating in. so if i blow, say $100 on clothes, that's two weeks of not being able to go out to dinner. my reward is the opposite. i get to go out and eat like a pig :)