About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fun Site: Bag Borrow or Steal

I know this goes against my whole philosophy of avoiding temptations to spend (even when it’s a sale, or an awesome deal, etc. etc.). However, when there are those real occasions (like the umpteen weddings I have this summer) where you want to look good or have that extra special something, it could be worth it to “rent” an expensive item vs. dropping tons of money on it. Bag Borrow or Steal lets you rent bags by the week or by the month, and it’s really not that expensive.

Definitely become a member, even if you are just borrowing one accessory. The one month membership fee of $10 usually makes up for the savings discrepancy between the member and guest rental rates. There are some awesome bags out there for super cheap (as long as you have the discipline to send them back after a week or so) and this is one where I think the return and enjoyment of using a designer bag outweighs the total cost. I think it seems like a really great business model as well, especially in these economic times where everyone is experiencing a bit of lifestyle inflation regardless of income (it always shocks me to see people who I know are not wealthy carrying around a brand name bag that you know is in the hundreds and thousands of dollars). I think it would definitely be a great “savings” for an event for which you would normally purchase new things.

Only thing to watch out for – pretty expensive shipping fees. Think ahead and make sure you’re only paying the standard rate vs. any of the speedier options.

No comments: