About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Quarter-Life Thing

Warning, this is going to be a bit of a random rant. So, where I currently work, I’m pretty much the youngest one in the office. The rest of my peers are all married with kids. Which I can deal with, I’m adaptable! But in our lunchtime conversations they pretty much squash all romanticism one could ever have about the future. They complain about their spouses, about their kids, about their lack of freedom, and basically sound miserable eighty percent of the time, and bored to tears the other twenty percent. I exaggerate slightly. But, really. They have basically stripped me of any desire to daydream. Now I know that being married’s not all that great, and having kids is the worst idea ever.

So my quarter life is not all “what do I do with my life? What’s my purpose?” My quarter-life is delaying all of THAT as long as possible. Maybe that’s why I’ve let that wedding fund hang out there at 0% for so long. For now, I just want to move to a fun city with the Guy and have adventures and travel and eat at nice restaurants and entertain in our cute boho condo and play hip music that really belongs in an ipod commercial.

Sorry not more substantive, but that’s what’s on my mind this week. While I might envy their financial stability, sometimes it’s just pretty damn nice to be young in the world. (And probably why I already spent $60 of my $100 clothing budget on lingerie. Oops.) So, I’m going to Chicago for a long weekend and it’s going to be fabulous. Starting Friday at 9 AM, I will be in high heels the entire weekend, playing and exploring in the city, heading to a posh wedding, staying out late, having lots of drinks, and meeting new people. Yes. Good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely relate. As anyone who's been married seems to admit, it's not all it's cracked up to be. My one coworker is big on telling me this, but she's also the first one to ooh and ah about boy issues with us singles.

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I still believe there are enough positives/benefits of having a family to make it desirable. Maybe it's just easier to complain, or more pressing among work colleagues. I don't know, but I hope.

Suzy said...

No, no I agree - I do still want to get married and have a family. And I do believe (however delusional it is) that with me and Guy it will be better. I think it's just calmed me down a little bit... I'm not wishing my life away as much, always wanting to move on to the next thing.