About Me: Suzy




An East-Coaster bewildered that I ended up in the Midwest post-graduation. More bewildered that I've come to love it.
[This budget blog chronicles my valiant attempts to make a living off my writing and stay in the black...]
Likes:
vegetables, CSPAN, high heels, travel writing, Anderson Cooper, rooftop bars, watching sports with strangers
Dislikes: monogrammed clothing, people who take pictures of food, my current travel budget, Wednesdays! ugh.

Monday, April 14, 2008

I Heart NY & Mapquest for Public Transportation

So, returned late last night from a really fun weekend in New York! Out visiting friends, checking out grad school and exploring a future home(?) It was just so good to be back on the East coast. I got to see so many old friends, had more people to meet up with and plans made than I had time for in four days, was surrounded by fashion and literature and Starbucks and intellectual goings-on. Just too good. A bit exhausting though. The Guy made a comment that the more he comes back, the less he likes New York as a visitor. You’re always trying to cram everything in when you’re a visitor, so it ends up being so tiring and too much. Even after four stretched days though, I could understand how it made him so happy to live there. And I could see myself there too.

And even though it is an insanely expensive city, and you do end up taking cabs more than you think you will, I kept my transportation spending down thanks to this fabulous website: Hopstop.com. The site is essentially Mapquest for public transportation, letting you map out the best route across the city, which train or bus to take, which way to turn on the street, how long it’s going to take to walk a few blocks, etc. I planned out my trip to the T, with everywhere I wanted to go while I was solo and didn’t have a native New Yorker with me. I jotted everything down in my Moleskine, which I *think* was subtle enough to keep me from looking like a tourist! They only have a few major cities rolled out, but really helpful for those that do.

No comments: